Monday, December 23, 2013

The one with all the nativity scenes

Last saturday I visited an exhibition with my mom at the nearby museum Orientalis. It's mostly an open air museum, that focuses on religion. The current exhibition is all about nativity scenes. The museum is only 5 minutes away by car from our work, and we thought it might be a fun break on a busy day. The last time I've been there was when I was a teenager. Which is, well, quite a while ago. As a kid I used to enjoy our afternoons there, because there's a lot to do and see, and it's outdoors. One of the things I liked most where the wooden figures, where you could stick your head through and make a photo. I got all excited that they were still there! I'm also a big fan of sheep, goats and donkey's and seeing a whole bunch of fluffy black sheep, made my day.



Burkina Faso - iron and paint

Denmark - ceramics

 Germany - cardboard and paint

El Salvador - wood and paint

France - seashells and paper

Kenia - banana leaves

Peru - wood and paint

Spain - terracotta

Sri Lanka - wood and paint


19 comments:

  1. I love seeing the nativity sets from around the world! And the black sheep is adorable!
    The first picture made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only one that wanted it's picture taken!

      Delete
  2. I'm not religious at all but I do love these nativity scenes--it's so cool to see so many different interpretations! What a great idea for a museum exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not religious either (even though I collect rosaries and Holy Mary's), I loved seeing the different materials and how the animals are different for some countries. There were even scenes with bright pink flamenco's!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these collections! They are simply beautiful. Isn't wonderful how differently the same story can be expressed? I love the picture of your mom (I think that's her?) popping her head through the shepherd cutout!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me, I bet she likes to hear you thought it was her!

      Delete
    2. haha! Well, you ARE both beautiful...you must've gotten it from her!

      Delete
  4. such a wonderful collection from around the globe! ...definatelly make you see what this season is about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing all of them, and enjoyed how different they all are!

      Delete
  5. Too funny, no one can resist sticking their heads in one of those and taking a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are cool! I especially like the one from El Salvador. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, you've just reminded me that I seem to have misplaced my crystal nativity set...well still a few more hours to find it! Wishing you a beautiful and bright Christmas!

    xo Mary Jo
    http://MagicalMined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome is this! I love nativity scenes, and was just telling my hubby we should get one for Christmas next year. I wish we have this museum here.
    Happy holidays to you and your family, Marieken:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting collection! I really like the one from Denmark. :) I hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect holiday post! That one with the cut out faces is awesome! That would make a great tradition for a family picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a really cool museum! I love the little black sheep. How cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments