Monday, November 18, 2013

The one with the brussels sprouts pesto

As most kids, I used to dislike brussels sprouts when I was young. Fortunately for me, my mom also didn't like these miniature cabbages, so I didn't have to eat them very often. A couple of years ago, I discoved that they can actually taste pretty good! They are quite the healthy guys, containing vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre. Also, they contain sinigrin, which is believed to protect against colon cancer.


What you'll need (dinner for 4)
  • 350 grams of brussel sprouts
  • 2 (small) cloves of garlic
  • 6 tablespoons of roasted pinenuts
  • lots of extra virgin olive oil (around 1/4 cup)
  • pasta for four
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 60 grams of grated parmesan cheese for the pesto, plus extra for the pasta.


Wash the brussels sprouts, remove the bottoms, the outside leaves and slice in half. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, add the sprouts and cook them for 3 minutes. Take them out of the pan, into a colander and let them cool down. If you're in a hurry, you can rinse them with cold water.


Prepare the pasta, as said on the packaging. While the pasta is cooking, Toss together the brussels sprouts, garlic, the pine nuts, and grated cheese in a blender, and mix until it's smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add the pesto to the pasta and serve with extra cheese on top.
 

More recipes can be found over here

16 comments:

  1. I don't like brussel sprouts much, but you make them sound yummy :)
    I like them as pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love brussels sprouts and can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like brussel sprouts too, but this one might work for me. I mean,you can't go wrong with pesto, right? And of course, the extra cheese...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brussels sprouts, and this recipe looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so tasty! I like to stir fry brussel sprouts but I'd never knew you could make pesto out of them xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds scrumptious!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I didn't give brussels sprouts a fair shot until just a few years ago. Now, one of our favorite side dishes is roasted brussels sprouts. I love the idea of this pesto over pasta! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see if you get to make some sprouts on the boat, I love your food-posts!

      Delete
  8. They are so healthy!...with this recipe I am sure they will taste yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not huge on brussels sprouts but I am totally trying this recipe. It looks and sounds very delicious:) Muah.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments