Thursday, May 9, 2013

The one with the baking experiment

 

Last weekend I experimented with some baking. I didn't use a cookbook for this one, but took my grandmothers 'normal' cake recipe, and added some tasty extras.

Here's what went in it:
- 200 grams of butter
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of cane sugar
- 8 chopped up dates
- 50 grams of chopped up dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- a pinch of salt

Here's what I did:
I started by preheating the oven at 170 ºC. I mixed the butter and sugar in a large bowl with the hand mixer, till creamy. Then I added the sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt. After that I mixed the flour in, bit by bit. With a wooden spoon, I stirred in the chocolate and the dates. I poured the batter in a buttered caketin and baked it for about 50 minutes. The last 15 minutes I covered the tin with a sheet of tin foil.

This is how it tasted:
Not to toot my own horn, but it tasted pretty good! Next time I will add more chocolate and dates. 
I love the pretty packaging of the dates, and the fact that they are lucky!
Have you baked something good lately?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I've never used dates before but I'm willing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't baked anything in forever! But that doesn't mean I've shied away from sweets! Hahaha. There may have been too many cupcakes in my life already recently, so it's probably for the best that I've been too busy to bake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I have made something similar like this with walnuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm! Have you got a piece left!? X F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than one piece, in the freezer. And check out today's blog, there's some artwork you might recognize.... http://alwayswearyour-invisiblecrown.blogspot.nl/2013/05/the-one-with-things-i-liked-this-week_10.html

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts and comments